Saturday, October 24, 2009

Another Good Report

At our visit yesterday evening Elsie had learned how to pull the CPAP out of her nose. I watched her push her little hands against the tubing, so the prongs would dislodge from her nostrils. She did this twice while we were there yesterday evening.

When this happens a high pitch 'beep' goes off at two second intervals to alert the nurses; and goes off until the prongs are back in her nostrils. I got the prongs back in each time, and she would go right back to pushing on the tubes.

She was wide awake when we were there and is responsive to my voice. She looks right at me when I talk to her, like she knows my voice. Her eyes are a deep blue. Wonder if she will keep that color? Ryan has beautiful blue eyes.

We finally told her good night and hoped if she went to sleep she would stop trying to get the prongs out.

At this morning's visit we got another good report. They are going to increase her feedings to 2 CCs of breast milk every three hours. The doctor said they may try to take the CPAP out to see how she does. Elsie's blood pressure has fluctuated up and down since she's been born, and the doctor is wondering if her agitation with the CPAP may be contributing to her high blood pressure.

They say that her lungs are fine, and they know this because when they remove the tubes to work on her (change fluids, IVs, etc) she continues breathing, her heart rate, respiratory, and oxidation numbers stay stable. So the doctor said they may try and see if she misbehaves with the CPAP out.

She was 1 lb 10 oz when they weighed her yesterday.

It was amazing to sit there and watch my 29 week old daughter push the tubes out of her nose. The first time she did it I was thinking "wait, she's not going to be able to get those out, is she? Oh yes she did. There is the alarm." The nurse this morning said she also figured out that if she pushes on her 'snuggly' and arches her back, then moves her head she can also get them out that way. They have her on a snuggly bed that has two straps across it in hopes of keeping her still.

Is anyone surprised that our child is already asserting herself at 29 weeks? Nope. That's our girl. You tell em if you don't like something sweetheart.

Love y'all,

Ellen

2 comments:

  1. She's fiesty just like her Mommy! Sounds like she's a smart cookie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LN (I write that because that's how you used to sign your notes to me in high school, ha!), I love reading your blogs. Your writing is so heartfelt and I can definitely hear your voice as I read! Know that my own Ryan and I are praying hard for you guys and Elsie. I'm so proud of Bud for being there for you guys - it brought tears to my eyes to read of how he is caring for you. I will continue to read and pray... so see, you've even got prayers coming your way from Nashville! :)

    Love,
    Angela Dossey Garner (my Google account on here is listed as "My Wife"... my husband did that somehow and I don't know how to change it! Sorry!)

    ReplyDelete