Monday, November 2, 2009

2 Pounds!







Yesterday was a big day! Elsie officially weighed in at 2 lbs. When I visited her this morning she was up to 2 lbs 1 oz, and they have increased her feedings to 11 CCs of breast milk every three hours.

We went by the hospital before dropping my Dad off at the airport yesterday morning, and when the nurse told us her weight was 2 lbs we all let out a cheer. She said "did you ever think you would be so excited about two pounds?" Ryan replied "YES! Yes we are so excited." The nurse from a 'room' across the aisle had to come ask us to use our inside voices. She was taking care of twin girls that seem to be struggling right now and need their beauty rest. Minimum stimulation signs are posted on the curtains around their isolettes.

So now we are officially on our own. I was not looking forward to walking into the NICU by myself for the first time yesterday afternoon when I went back to do skin to skin. The nurse came over to let me know she would be right with me, and asked if we got my Dad off safely. "Yes we did, thank you" I replied. Another nurse came over and said "oh he left? He's been here since your baby was born, are you okay?" They are so sweet. Not only are they truely concerned about my child, but I think I will be friends with some of them by the time Elsie comes home. I was not expecting that but am so grateful.

Rudy misses his Grandpa. He looked at the door of our guest room (soon to be nursery) this morning and looked at me like "where is he mom?" I had to remind him that Grandpa went home and he is not here any more. Poor Rudy. To keep his spirits up I am about to take him on a long walk...
Okay so the pics: the first is Elsie at 2 lbs. You can tell a difference in her appearance with the weight on her. She looks more like a baby now. A pretty baby...
Second is my Dad looking at his granddaughter through her isolette and telling her bye-bye.
Third, is Ryan holding Elsie's hand. Girlfriend has a good grip. Ryan jokes that this will be good for gripping a driver later on in life. This is the story of my life people, Ryan is always on the golf course. Before we know it he can take his daughter with him; after I get her the cutie patootie golf clothes!

Thanks to everyone for their kind words, thoughts, and prayers thus far. Keep them coming. We appreciate them so much.

Love Y'all,

Ellen






No comments:

Post a Comment