Thursday, November 12, 2009

I Saw Her Brain!

On an ultrasound. Seriously one of the coolest things EVER. Standard NICU procedure is to get a baby a brain scan at 7 days of life and again at 30 days. Elsie's was normal at 7 days. Today they did the 30 day scan. No official results yet, should have those tomorrow sometime.

Today while I was holding her (as she was eating) the ultrasound tech came down to do the scan. Elsie gets pretty pissed when you put her back in her little box after I hold her, so instead of putting her back, the nurse and I decided it may be easier for the tech to scan her while I was holding her. She was perfect.

So here I am, holding her, and they just put the goo on the wand and scanned her brain. I got to see her brain on the ultrasound screen. Of course the tech will not tell you anything, it all has to come from the official report by the radiologist.

She did well with the blood transfusion last night. I took my camera to take pics today, but must admit she looks pitiful with the IV for blood and another for the fluids. They should take the IV out tonight, and I can take pretty pics tomorrow. Pretty as a CPAP and Isolette can get, at least.

They resumed feeding her at 2:00 this afternoon. If she digests everything well, they should be back up to 22 CCs by 2:00 AM tomorrow morning.

She is officially 2 lb 8 oz. That is 2 and a half pounds people! Soon she will have gained an entire pound since birth at 1 lb 9 oz. Way to go Elsie Lou!

Love Y'all,
Ellen

2 comments:

  1. WOW! How cool to see her brain right there! So happy for the weight gain too. She's growing like a weed. Keep up the good work, you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. every day I read your posts, I am amazed at your little miracle.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete