Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanks and Giving

Elsie continues to do well. The NICU got a new set of twins, and moved Elsie to a little room so she could have some privacy. "Our little princess" one of the nurses said. Yes, she is; and at 43 days old and currently the oldest baby and smallest (weight) in the NICU, we deserve some peace and quiet. Right?

She is now 2 lbs 14 oz and did not have any episodes in the last 24 hours. This time she is taking to the cannula well. After not having milk for 24 hours after the blood transfusion they have gotten back to full feedings; then increased her to 26 CCs with 24 calories. If this continues we may try and nurse next week. "Just to see what she does."

My family arrived in The Woodlands very early this morning to celebrate Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I LOVE to eat; and a holiday that brings your family and friends togther for the best meal of the year is hard to beat in my book.

This year we have many things to be thankful for. Most of all I am thankful to our family/families for providing such a strong support system at this time. Even if it is from afar, I am proud of the strength and solidarity we have shown. Ryan and I could not have done this without y'all. Know that we are a product of your upbringing, and you did well.

Secondly, the doctors, nurses, and the entire staff at the hospital. They are truely my daughter's guardian angels. Everyday I am thankful that those people made the decision to take care of babies. Believe me when I say it is not a job anyone could do. They are amazing and I will be forever grateful to them. They are not only nurses and doctors, but have become an extension of our family. That doesn't happen everywhere and we recognize that.

Thirdly, I am exceptionally thankful for you, Internet friends. Y'all aren't just Internet friends. Y'all are Conway friends from Woodland Heights and Second Baptist that have been there from the beginning with Ryan and I. You are girls that sat on a pieces of paper with me and thousands of others on one of the hottest days in Bryant Denny Stadium, and later pledged to support me forever. You are absolutely supporting me in my hour of need and I cannot tell you how awesome that is. You may also be a part of a group of friends that not everyone had the privilege of making in college. Ours was a unique experience that created a bond that has lasted almost 10 years. You are the people we will tell Elsie about years from now when we try and talk her out of going to UT. Even more amazing, you may be the parents of one of those kids that we went to college with. Or y'all are "friends of the heart" reading this in Birmingham, where I will always call home. To the friends we have picked up along the way...know that this is just how it goes with the Baileys. Never exactly as planned, and always the hard way, but we do try and have fun doing it.

We are thankful for each of you. Please continue to pray for strength. Clearly, it is working. You don't know what it means that you log on to your computer, and check this blog to see how our daughter is doing. That is amazing, really.

Happy Thanksgiving, and Love y'all!
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment